Here is one of the recipes I’ve tried a few times and its really nice, easy to cook and if you can get the sweet potatoes and leeks off the market, its inexpensive.
Prep time 10 mins
cooking time 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 500g (1lb) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 litre veg stock
- 3 small leeks trimmed, cleaned and finely sliced
- sprigs of coriander to taste
- salt and pepper
- natural yogurt to garnish
1. Warm the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan
Add the mustard seeds, onion garlic and sweet potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock, Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
2. Add the leeks. Chop and add the coriander. Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste. Blend if preferred. Serve the soup with a swirl of yogurt to garnish.
Sweet potatoes are a good source of carotenes, the yogurt adds calcium and protein and helps the digestive system and leeks are a good source of calcium and magnesium.
All of the health benefits and it tastes delicious.
(From Building Stronger Bones Naturally, the osteoporosis diet and exercise plan by Xandria Williams, published by Hamlyn)
- Very Simple Sweet Potato & Leek Soup (franceskraft.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Recipe: Caribbean Sweet Potato Fries (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Sweet Potato, Carrot, Leek and Pumpkin Soup (dailygluttony.wordpress.com)
- L is for Lentil and vegetable curry (itstartswithbreakfast.wordpress.com)
- sweet (potato) talk to me, please (girlandgranola.wordpress.com)